Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My Review of Bollywood's "Bang Bang"


I have never categorized myself as a fan of any entertainer, but I now proudly say that I am a fan of Hrithik Roshan. Whilst I have my preferences within his filmography, Bang Bang now ranks as one of my favorites. Here are the reasons why.

I have been a Hrithik fan for only a year and a half, so this was the first of his movies whose journey I followed both through his Twitter page and through the social media platforms of the fan website Hrithik Rules. I saw pictures and videos of the sets. I knew when the crews were jetting off to various locations. As the promotions kicked into gear, I excitedly joined other Hrithik fans on Twitter in trends and countdowns, and eagerly awaited each reveal. As the October 2 release date approached, I was elated to suddenly realize that it was coming to a cinema close to me here in the US. This was the first time since becoming a fan that I had the chance to see Hrithik on the big screen, and on opening day too!

In terms of the movie itself, Bang Bang is a lighthearted and fun action romp. Two extremely good-looking people become entangled in a drama that transports them to various stunning locations across the globe. Despite its name, the violence quotient is relatively low. The plot is (mostly) believable. The protagonists are extremely endearing Harleen is innocent sweetness, while Rajveer is all smoldering charm, wit and muscles. The story avoids long-windedness and develops quickly through various twists and turns. The action sequences are masterfully executed. The music is truly wonderful now one of my favorite soundtracks, it is a combination of happy beats and soulful melodies. As one expects from a Hrithik movie, the dance numbers are spectacular. And my most unexpected pleasure from this movie is its humor! I think Hrithik has a special gift for comedy. I am known amongst my family and friends for my thunderous, roaring laugh, and to my surprise this was unleashed at least 4 times during the movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bang Bang and I am clearly not alone; it is storming through the Indian and international box offices. With its resounding success come the inevitable criticisms and discussions about what does and does not represent true cinema. In my opinion, such debates in this context are deeply misplaced. One of the beauties of the human psyche is that it is capable of appreciating a wide and complex range of stimuli. We are not required to choose between Beethoven and Beyonce, between Tolstoys War and Peace and Rowlings Harry Potter novels. We possess the faculties to enjoy all of the above without any contradiction whatsoever; each has its place and its value in our kaleidoscope of human experiences. Did Bang Bang make me ponder the meaning and mystery of life? No. Did it bring a smile to my face, laughter to my soul and joy to my heart? Yes!

Finally, at its deepest level Bang Bang has a special significance. Following the journey of the making of the movie also meant that I, like other fans, became painfully aware of the various challenges encountered by Hrithik over this period. In his many recent interviews, he has been frank about this time in his life; if push your extreme is his motto, there is no doubt that he is living it by example. In this respect, Bang Bang serves as a potent reminder of a human beings indomitable will to keep moving forward in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles; at its most profound, it reminds us of the true strength of the human spirit. In cinema, and in life, this is one of the greatest contributions that can be made. So the critics can have their say, the industry experts can debate, and the box office pundits can argue; for me, Bang Bang is BANG-on-target.